[nos-bbs] JNOS closer to Winlink than many realize + hf.ampr.org anyone ?

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Apr 4 12:58:38 EDT 2006

> You can't get any bigger than hf.ampr.org. By using hf-ve4.ampr.org
> or similar would that not be localizing things ? Unless you were
> referring to just the hostnames to be used by the ground stations.

Right.  I see that now.  we have hf.ampr.org to be the "virual" overall
domain.  It would be served by a couple (hf1, hf2) physical machines.
We need redundency to make this work.  No more single points of failure!!!

It would be cool if we added a bit to a users mailbox setup that flagged
the global HF Net concept.  Maybe even have a couple different nets:
HF general,  EmComm, Boaters, etc

> The way I see it would be like this :
>
>         ANYUSER @ hf.ampr.org
>
> Mind you, this would apply to any medium, not just HF, so really in
> the end this part of the exercise is nothing more than picking a domain
> name to use :-( I don't want to distrace from the concept. It would be
> interesting to USE our AMPR.ORG so that we could have something like :
>
>    ANYUSER @ ampr.org
>
> and have that user be able to pick off the message no matter what system
> he connects to ?

ampr2.org/net/com is available for just that.  :-)

>>I hope to be on HF full time (P1 for now.  :-(  ) in a month or so.
>
> I like my P1, dust off your DXP38 modems people !
>
> I've had nothing but fun with mine. There's nothing wrong with the mode,
> dispite the fact that the BANDWIDTH might be considered obsolete by now.

plain text at P1 has got to beat .doc files at P3 for the same content.  :-)

> It's affordable and it can pass messages just fine. Just the other day,
> I discovered K4SET on 7075 and WB5KSD on 7076, both running W2LK, and I

Far out!

Bill