[nos-bbs] JNOS closer to Winlink than many realize + hf.ampr.org anyone ?

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Apr 4 13:21:39 EDT 2006

Bill wrote :

> Think bigger and generic.  hf-ve5.ampr.org,  hf-w7, or something
> equivalent that allows building a whole network.

You can't get any bigger than hf.ampr.org. By using hf-ve4.ampr.org
or similar would that not be localizing things ? Unless you were
referring to just the hostnames to be used by the ground stations.

The way I see it would be like this :

        ANYUSER @ hf.ampr.org

Mind you, this would apply to any medium, not just HF, so really in
the end this part of the exercise is nothing more than picking a domain
name to use :-( I don't want to distrace from the concept. It would be
interesting to USE our AMPR.ORG so that we could have something like :

   ANYUSER @ ampr.org

and have that user be able to pick off the message no matter what system
he connects to ? Not sure what Brian (Kantor) would think about that
though. That's a logistics issue that would have to be dealt with.

> I hope to be on HF full time (P1 for now.  :-(  ) in a month or so.

I like my P1, dust off your DXP38 modems people !

I've had nothing but fun with mine. There's nothing wrong with the mode,
dispite the fact that the BANDWIDTH might be considered obsolete by now.

It's affordable and it can pass messages just fine. Just the other day,
I discovered K4SET on 7075 and WB5KSD on 7076, both running W2LK, and I
was able to forward with them both using my JNOS system. They both use
SCS modems (their dial freq would be around 7074.9 LSB and 7075.9 LSB),
which corresponds to my DXP modem (my dial freq is roughly 7077.15 LSB
and 7078.15 LSB).

Maiko