[nos-bbs] JNOS closer to Winlink than many realize + hf.ampr.org anyone ?

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Apr 4 12:08:08 EDT 2006

How many of you know the following :

 JNOS can be setup such that it polls a POP mail server (or more) at
 regular intervals, and for different users. If any mail is found, it
 is put in the users mail area, and deleted off the POP mail server
 it got it from.

 Just throw a 'popmail addserver pop.anywhere.com 300 call user pass'
 in your autoexec.nos file. Throw in several 'popmail' commands for
 multiple accounts and/or machines.

With WINlink, the ground stations regularly poll a centralized email
server. The idea is that it DOES NOT MATTER what ground station a user
connects to in order for them to retrieve their mail. All they have to
do is connect to ANY of the ground stations, and the mail is there !

In a way, the WINlink looks and behaves alot like IMAP ...

A few enhancments would have to be made to JNOS in order to make it
function in a truly *global* fashion as the winlink system does. For
instance, if we had a centralized mail server, each JNOS ground box
would have to have a POP client that only read (without deleting)
from the centralized mail server. A mechanism would have to be put
in to delete the message once a user has killed it locally on the
box they happen to be on.

I don't think it would be much to get a new feature like this thrown in.

I have considered setting up a *centralized* server something like :

    hf.ampr.org

and going from there ...

Anyways, there's some information that I hope a few of you may find useful.

73 Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM