[nos-bbs] stupid question #6

Demetre Valaris dvalaris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 00:38:51 EDT 2005

Rick Williams wrote:

>Am I assuming correctly that 44 numbers do not have any kind of domain
>lookup and are just an entry in a database kept by the adminstrator to
>insure that you don't have a duplicate address?

Hi OM,

44 addresses have a domain lookup alright. Any address ending in amp.org
is being resolved fine by hamradio.ucsd.edu name server that Brian
Kantor looks after. If you want you can download the files ampr.org,
amprhosts and amprnets via anonymous ftp to ftp.ucsd.edu by looking at
directory /hamradio.

Asking and declaring a 44 affress is not merely for administration
purposes and for duplicate avoidance. It is also practical. Any ampr.org
address can be resolved by the amprnet DNS SERVER hamradio.ampr.org just
like any other Internet host.

It is a very good idea for all radio Amateurs that are interested in
promoting Amateur Packet Radio to get an IP Address from their local IP
Coordinator and if they do not have one locally they can contact Brian
Kantor (brian at ucsd.edu) and ask him to appoint one for your area,
perhaps yourself if there is noone else or if he cannot be contacted or
cannot be bothered to issue local IP addresses anymore.

If we go on and use the easy solution by issuing addresses in the
Region of 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x then  theses interfaces will have no
AMPRnet connectivity.

I think that a JNOS slip interface, especially all radio Interfaces
should have 44 addresses.
I know that there are other ways of connectivity (i.e. by usign NAT etc)
but all radio interfaces that use TCP/IP should definatelly have a 44
address, otherwise we defeat the purpose of radio amateur networking.

>If you have a 44 address and are using say a JNOS2 server and connect into
>the internet with e-mail, how does the internet see that interface point?
>Just as a regular e-mail based upon whatever currently exists? And then you
>just convert that to the internal 44 system so the outside never even knows
>there is a 44 address?
>
>73,
>
>Rick, KV9U

Although the 44 network should be firewalled in all entry points so that
non 44 hosts cannot entere the 44 network and thus key our transmitters,
you can use MX records for e-mail, i.e you can have your slip interface
of JNOS or the eth0 interface of  the LINUX BOX that hosts your JNOS
have a non 44 real Internet address and have your MX records pointing
there. Or have your MX Records pointing to your Local AMPRnet GATEWAY
and arrange things with your LOCAL IP COORDINATOR.

73 de Demetre SV1UY
e-mail sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
http://www.athnet.ampr.org
IP Coordinator for AMPRnet in Greece