[nos-bbs] stupid question #6

Rick Williams mrfarm at mwt.net
Mon Sep 12 23:29:48 EDT 2005

Bill,

If you were starting from scratch and setting up a network for say a
Section, would it be practical to use the home LAN IP numbers? I already use
192.168.0.xxx for my home LAN and I would expect many others do the same.

How could you configure such a system to work well over a few hundred miles
or more?

Then how would that work into other networks?

Am I assuming correctly that 44 numbers do not have any kind of domain
lookup and are just an entry in a database kept by the adminstrator to
insure that you don't have a duplicate address?

If you have a 44 address and are using say a JNOS2 server and connect into
the internet with e-mail, how does the internet see that interface point?
Just as a regular e-mail based upon whatever currently exists? And then you
just convert that to the internal 44 system so the outside never even knows
there is a 44 address?

73,

Rick, KV9U