[nos-bbs] JNOS 2.0d - reverse lookups

Barry Siegfried k2mf at nnj.k2mf.ampr.org
Thu Oct 20 14:21:16 EDT 2005

["Steven Stimpson (N1OHX)" <steven2 at gwi.net> wrote]:

> > Is anyone using 'domain translate on'?
>
> Yes and no.  This reminds me of a problem we had on our vhf net
> when ka1nnn was working on the code.  If you turned domain translate
> on, there was a problem with reverse lookups that caused jnos to hang,
> but not really hang.  It wouldn't accept user input, and the trace
> screen would stop.  This would happen on the first reverse lookup
> attempt.  While it was doing this it was still listening to the
> frequency and queueing future lookups, and when the machine would
> "Unhang" it would spit out 30 or 40 reverse lookup requests
> for all the packets it monitored while it was "Hung".

Yup... this *was* a pretty big problem in yesteryear.

> Ka1nnn did something to fix this in his code, and added a "Domain
> QueryPTR" command.

I solved the problem differently and without a separate command but
essentially we both did similar things to solve the same problem.

> Hope this helps.

Your description of the problem was very refreshing.  To the best
of my knowledge, nobody actually uses 'domain translate on' anymore
because of these very issues, which incidentally haven't been
completely eliminated but rather, have been worked around to the
point where they aren't really a problem anymore.  Also, from just
a "neat output display" perspective, 'domain translate on' causes
hostnames to get printed in spaces where IP addresses are "normally"
supposed to be and this generally looks pretty bad.

73, de Barry, K2MF >>
          <|>      Barry Siegfried
| Internet | bgs at mfnos.net              |
| HomePage | http://www.mfnos.net/~bgs  |