[nos-bbs] About SSID

Tim Gorman ab0wr at ab0wr.net
Tue Nov 22 17:01:37 EST 2005

On Tuesday 22 November 2005 10:12, George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I find SSID a bit of a stumbling block, not much of an assist...
> Back to the beginning of this reflector SSID seems like a silent
> subject.
> My task is to pick SSIDs for my station(s).
> I expect to have 2 jnos and maybe 4 or 5 xcievers under my call at some
> times.
>
> I find no "standard", and my neighborhood seems disparate except for BBS
> are mostly "-1" locally.
> "Mostly" is not OK?
> The jnos "connect" is my most failing command - it doesn't go beyond
> "connected" if I choose the wrong SSID.
> Yes - I've been using jnos to "surf" the RF like my Internet browser...
> The tools in jnos to sort out SSIDs of other stations are missing (I'm
> not intimating adding tools)?
> MSYS has a few associated with the "J" command I find useful on one
> neighbor - that's my best shot "on the air".
> Naturally you wonder about my "problem" if most are "-1"?
> One tool I find a bit of a kludge is "tracing then grepping" beacon text
> - but then beacons are not consistent either...
>
> This may be the nature of the AX.25 beast, and may also be a minor
> inconvenience for everyone.
> I don't believe there is a jnos problem in SSID management, perhaps more
> inexperience in one jnos user.
> I wonder if anyone has made management of SSID into a no-brainer?
> What's the trick?
>
> 73
> Skip

Skip,

I think you'll find that the SSID can be between 0 and 15. Your stations can
start with xxxxx-0 (which is the same as xxxxx so you don't need the 0) going
up. Nodes which send your calls onward (as opposed to digipeaters) will
retransmit using ssids of 15 downward.

So the typical setup has originating stations using ssid's if 1 to 8 with 9-15
being reserved for nodes repeating your transmissions.

What gets assigned to what is your choice. My main bbs uses ab0wr (mycall). My
pk-232mbx node is assigned to ab0wr-4, the mailbox in the pk232mbx is
assigned to ab0wr-3, and my pactor callsign is ab0wr-2.

Lots of people use the their main call as the keyboard (the mycall variable),
ssid 1 as the mailbox or bbs, and I'm not sure what else.

YMMV.

73,

tim