[nos-bbs] About SSID

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Tue Nov 22 11:12:33 EST 2005

Greetings,

I find SSID a bit of a stumbling block, not much of an assist...
Back to the beginning of this reflector SSID seems like a silent
subject.
My task is to pick SSIDs for my station(s).
I expect to have 2 jnos and maybe 4 or 5 xcievers under my call at some
times.

I find no "standard", and my neighborhood seems disparate except for BBS
are mostly "-1" locally.
"Mostly" is not OK?
The jnos "connect" is my most failing command - it doesn't go beyond
"connected" if I choose the wrong SSID.
Yes - I've been using jnos to "surf" the RF like my Internet browser...
The tools in jnos to sort out SSIDs of other stations are missing (I'm
not intimating adding tools)?
MSYS has a few associated with the "J" command I find useful on one
neighbor - that's my best shot "on the air".
Naturally you wonder about my "problem" if most are "-1"?
One tool I find a bit of a kludge is "tracing then grepping" beacon text
- but then beacons are not consistent either...

This may be the nature of the AX.25 beast, and may also be a minor
inconvenience for everyone.
I don't believe there is a jnos problem in SSID management, perhaps more
inexperience in one jnos user.
I wonder if anyone has made management of SSID into a no-brainer?
What's the trick?

73
Skip