[nos-bbs] smtp switch & configuration

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Sun Nov 20 11:22:18 EST 2005

Kewl reply Jay,
Lots of good info I will pursue in the next few days...

But my friend you have missed one critical concept:

On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 23:32 -0500, Jay Nugent wrote:

> Greetings,

>>SNIP<<

>    My guess why you get the "Unknown address" error messages is because
> your box doesn't *know* itself.  It can't deliver email to itself if it
> doesn't know its own address.>>SNIP<<

With smtp not started I should get no error message?
Why doesn't jnos ignore the queued mail?
It is great to see it processed into the "spool/mqueue/" because that
step should be enabled by "start ax25"...

Yes I'm needing to do those things you have led me to in configuring
smtp.  My concern with jnos might be that in having smtp configured at
compile time the default smtp status becomes "started".   I have not
found a way to determine if that is true...  And if it is true, then I
need to add a "stop smtp" into autoexec.nos as a workaround?

My focus on the strange behavior of jnos may be a bit anal...  But I do
like computers to be at least predictable.

>       --- Jay Nugent  WB8TKL
>           Chair, ARRL Michigan Section "Digital Radio Group" (DRG)
>           [www.MI-DRG.org]
>
> "Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
>  deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)
> +------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Jay Nugent   jjn at nuge.com    (734)484-5105    (734)544-4326/Fax        |
> | Nugent Telecommunications  [www.nuge.com]     (734)649-0850/Cell       |
> |   Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
> | ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.net] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
> | Web-Pegasus    [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
> | LinuxNIC, Inc. [www.linuxnic.net]   Registrar of the .linux TLD        |
>  11:01pm  up 248 days,  2:17,  4 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.12, 0.03

Jay, in your position of leadership, can you tell me what is active
today inside ampr.org?  What do you expect to be happening to that
network of "44.xxx" in the next years?

Thanks loads for your well done reply.  I'm certainly a newbie to
digital ham stuff, I hope to bring at least a little more activity to
West Michigan in the technology.

73
Skip