[nos-bbs] RF crash victim

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Fri Nov 18 16:51:42 EST 2005

Maiko,

I suspected aprs, and here I am using an unmodified (mostly) jnos2.0d
autoexec.nos.
The unmodified part is something that made it really interesting for
me...
There is no reference to "aprs" in autoexec.nos.

My mods are:

      * Add the trace vhf...
      * change the "ax25 bctext...

Neither effect aprs processing.
And I don't know the detail config.h used to generate jnos2.0d as
distributed in binary linux form.  I see it does not have the trace
information in it so either it is configured [OFF] or it has been
"stripped" after compilation...

And this brings me to one more question:
Is one of the six versions of config.h in the source distributed as
jnos2.0d the EXACT one used to generate the linux binary?
If not, could you make it available?  It seems like a valid (good)
starting point.

73
George

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 12:19 -0600, maiko at pcs.mb.ca wrote:

> George wrote :
>
> > I believe I may have found a crash bug for jnos2.0d distribution.
>
> What you reported is an APRS style beacon. If the APRS module is
> compiled into your JNOS, and you are getting a crash each time this
> is coming in, then perhaps a bug has been found in the APRS code.

As further information, jnos has run for 24+ hours on a frequency
without aprs traffic thus it really does "smell like" aprs data is the
trigger...