[nos-bbs] KLMproxy - Windows TCP/IP without the IP over RF - anoldidea ...

sv1uy sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Thu Jun 30 17:15:29 EDT 2005

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:49:49 -0700, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote

> Bottom line is that for point to point I feel we can do better
> with direct packet then with TCP/IP.

> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP

Hi Bill,

Although we can use the TCP WINDOW in effect too, I agree with you that for
low speed such as 1200, it might be better to use plain AX25 sometimes and
especialy for keyboard to keyboard comms but why don't we all start to use
9600 bps and up? The technology is there and it is not expensive. The key is
to get a proper data radio and a TNC, i.e 200 + 260 EURO = 400 EURO per 9600
terminal. Or get a PR430 which is a 6 watt data radio with a built in 9600 TNC
enclosed in a cigarette packet sized box all for 400 EUROS. Hey this can be
used in a portable system too. Just connect it to your LAPTOP and you have
portable/mobile PACKET RADIO with TCP/IP support.

The ones that want to use 1200 can use AX25 or TCP/IP over AX25 as they wish,
after all JNOS and many other TCP/IP front end systems such as the NODE that
runs in kernel AX25 in Linux and Xnet also support AX25 connects and for a
good reason.

Perhaps this talk can generate some new or revive some old ideas and we can
have our PACKET back in bussiness again.

I must admit that altough I use the 2.4 GHZ system I am sick of listening to
it because when we had the PACKET RADIO NETWORKS you could have a real time
QSO over PACKET RADIO very easily, apart from the other stuff we were doing.
Now with the 2.4 GHZ devices noone seems to do that! All we do now is browse
the WEB and sometimes, or very rarely, write an e-mail or to a mailing list.

Sorry I must go to bed guys. It is past midnight here in Athens and I am
getting up early tomorrow.

---
73 de Demetre SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy at ham.depa.gr