[nos-bbs] KLMproxy - Windows TCP/IP without the IP over RF - an oldidea ...

sv1uy sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Thu Jun 30 00:38:04 EDT 2005

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:13:31 -0700, Bill Vodall WA7NWP wrote

> IP over packet has some incredible overhead.   Getting a more efficient
> scheme at the AX25 level while keeping TCP technology
> would be a big step forward.
>
> It might even take the place of my idea to use some sort of UUCP
> style message bundling and file copying by packet.
>
> 73
> Bill - WA7NWP

Hi Bill and group,

IP over AX25 might have an overhead on 1200bps, although it is only 40 bytes
out of 256 bytes, i.e. 15% slower than a plain AX25 packet, but it does work
when tweaked properly. JNOS is good for this sort of tweaking.

Where IP over AX25 really shines is on 9600bps and up provided one uses
proper data radios which are cheaper than a plain VHF/UHF voice mobile radio
that claims to be 9600 ready and really is not. Unfortunatelly this is what
everybody tends to use and then blames packet radio, IP and 9600bps. As far
as I am concerned this is the main reason why 9600bps and higher PACKET
RADIO speeds have failed to be widely implemented. People just do not want
to make a cheap investment and they want to use their expensive VHF/UHF
mobile rig which is OK for voice QSOs but useless for PACKET higher than
1200 bps. It is not IP over AX25's fault.

Of course this is my opinion, others might have other opinions and they are
entitled to have them.

---
73 de Demetre SV1UY
e-mail: sv1uy at ham.depa.gr