[nos-bbs] KLMproxy - Windows TCP/IP without the IP over RF - an old idea ...

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Wed Jun 29 22:38:40 EDT 2005

Comment?  --  I get too soon old and too late smart.

What you present is >exactly< what I wanted to bring to our field day
with the sign: "LOOK - no WI-FI here but WX radar is arriving anyway.".
The link would have been back to my home about 5 miles distant - no
sweat.  But alas - I'm not far enough along with jnos to pull it off...
Besides - nobody in my club has another option:-)

I see the winlink 2000 people made a few splashes around the country.
An email link would have been about as nice - again: too soon for me.
So I settled for hunting satellites and that generated some interest.

What is the basis for my pursuit?  Probably best expressed with the word
"interoperability".  In my framework, if nos will BBS and also pass
email visive wl2k and also pass browser packets, then I have a swiss
army knife of data transport.  One widget that passes three things seems
better than three widgets to me...  And on top of an existing
infrastructure that is lightly used makes sense.  My read of FlexNet
suggests it is another niche.

I'm certain my field day experience is not the same as your own, but
your concept seems sound.  My only adaptation to your picture is that my
picture uses Linux platforms both home and remote thus nos on both ends
with adjustment to the configuration...

I've made some assumptions:  jnos2.x will do everything jnos 1.11 does
so it is an advancement not a fork.  jnos2.x will do TCP/IP stuff too.
The existing AX.25 packet network won't care if jnos is used or not.
The winlink network won't care if jnos is run or not.  jnos2.x fits on
multiple platforms, and will mature into having a distribution package
for end users - sorta plug&play...

It doesn't seem that flexnet is any leapfrog in technology.  And as hard
as nos might be to implement, the incremental advancement approach seems
to be a sounder approach.

Whatever - do what is best for you Maiko.

Skip
K8RRA