[nos-bbs] Understanding xNOS and other network software

Rick Williams mrfarm at mwt.net
Thu Jul 14 19:03:53 EDT 2005

There are a lot of questions that I have about NOS/networking/related
programs that are hard to figure out.

Is it possible there are some resources of that type on the net or have I
just missed them?

Or can some of you folks help me with:

1. How does JNOS2 compare to other NOS's such as MFNOS? Is there much
difference or is it possible the amateur community can come up with one
focused xNOS that can maximize the limited resources we have (namely, the
brilliant programmers who only have so much time to spend on development)?

2. When do you use xNOS and when do you use other networking programs, e.g.,
FPAC?

3. Two of those networking programs that seem to be the best are FPAC and
FlexNet. Can anyone critique these and explain how they differ? Or why you
use one over the other.

4. For someone who just wants to use a network for mail (perhaps h routed
mail and internet e-mail), could you just use a program such as AirMail and
you only need someone else to maintain the xNOS part?

5. If you don't really have an emergency digital network anymore, like in
our area, and you would like to rebuild it, what would be a particularly
good way to go?

73,

Rick, KV9U