[nos-bbs] The *marketing* of JNOS 2.0 - new banner page ...

George (Skip) VerDuin k8rra at ameritech.net
Thu Jul 14 15:24:26 EDT 2005

YES!

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 11:01 -0500, maiko at pcs.mb.ca wrote:
> Good morning to all,
>
> In the interests of better *marketing* the JNOS *product*, I have put
> a banner page on the main JNOS 2.0 site, so that first time visitors get
> a much better idea of what this stuff can be used for.
>
> Comments / Criticism more than welcome (fire extinguisher is ready)
No flames from here...  You have nicely described what I want to build
for myself after all...

With current events, you might consider mentioning names with the
concept of (seamlessly?) interaoperating with amprnet, wl2k, sailnet,
and other groups you know of who have more of a service presence than a
software development presence?  And provide anchors to the lead page for
each of them?

For those with emergency com in their blood, introduce the "nos network"
that adapts to the field situation to maintain many station TCP/IP open
platform networking in the absence of Internet?  Nope - I ain't seen one
yet:-(  But I could have easily missed the opportunity.

> The next step is to create a more user friendly "install.exe" process
> for those that have NEVER used any of the NOS variants before. I actually
> have a document from last September 2004 that gives a complete runtime
> environment for new users (check my NOSaprs page if interested), but even
> that document and environment gets a bit too technical for first time
> users. The idea is to have an install process that will do *everything*
> for the user, such as create the directory and file structures, prompt
> user for key configuration parameters, and then build all the files
> automatically. The whole idea is to get first time users away from
> the need to 'vi autoexec.nos' and that other *complicated* stuff.
Do I understand correctly(?):
install.exe for DOS
RPM for some Linux (Red Hat, ...)
apt for other Linux (Debian, ...)
[the list goes on?]
That together with configuration notes is a DYNAMITE IDEA.
Using RPM/apt the update process could even be integrated with the
operating system maintenance...

May I contribute?