[nos-bbs] promoting packet and maybe xNOS?

Demetre Valaris sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
Tue Jul 5 14:48:03 EDT 2005

Hi all again,

This is to let you know that at this end we still use JNOS (in a Linux
box) mainly as our SMTP SERVER and we all our radio amateur related
mailing list via it. We do this via athnet.ampr.org since it is very
secure (see the non relay abilities), and also not many hackers know how
to crack. This is better than using sendmail or any other SMTP agent
that every hacker knows how to mess up.

Also AMPRnet via JNOS was the only way to get our e-mail at ATHnet in
REALTIME, and I mean real time e-mail via our VHF 1200 and UHF 9600
TCP/IP network in Athens from 1994 up to January 2004 until we lost our
Internet connection and the original athnet.ampr.org run by SV1AAW,
myself (SV1UY), SV1CEC and SV1VV until then. Since then I took over the
AMPRnet main GATEWAY of Athens and for all 2004 it run via an ADSL line
serving ATHnet with 4 RF ports and from the beginning of 2005 we have a
fast WLAN connection on 2.4GHZ (still RF) serving ATHnet.

Up to this day me a few others still get our e-mail in REALTIME this way
via AMPRnet, alas not as many as we used to be.

What I want to say is that we can still, and we still do here in Athens,
utilise one of the most important purposes of our AMPRnet and this is
the ability to have e-mail coming to our PC in REALTIME via SMTP or POP
and all this thanks to JNOS.

Now that Maiko has made it possible to use HF PACTOR with at least 3
different controllers we have more possibilities, such as linking it
with the WINLINK 2000 system and also get e-mail via HF PACTOR in a real
emergency situation when we do not have the extra power to run a LAPTOP,
but only have a small battery enough for a palmtop computer such as the
HP200LX, a small portable HF radio such as the FT-817 and a PTC-IIe
controller all fitting in ones BACKPACK.

Now I think this is great and I hope Maiko can come up with even better
ideas!

Keep this conversation going guys because everytime we find new things!

===
73 de Demetre Valaris - SV1UY
e-mail  sv1uy at ham.depa.gr
webpage http://www.athnet.ampr.org/~sv1uy