[nos-bbs] TELpac nodes and JNOS (based on a much earlier post)

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon Jul 4 15:29:52 EDT 2005

This is slightly old, but some recent reading about TELpac nodes
reminded me of this thread, and I felt maybe some clarifications
should be made. In essence, JNOS *is* a Telpac node already !

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Bill Vodall wrote:

> All this chat and some of my local on the air activity has me curious
> to try JNOS to Winlink by the TelPack client interface. Since it uses
> the simple SP/LM/RM commands it should be close to working.

xNOS *is* a TelPac server in a sense. The packet user out in the
field connects to xNOS directly, and can easily and reliably send
email to anyone in the world from the prompt - provided the NOS
system is configured to do that, like mine is here in Winnipeg.

This was possible YEARS AGO already, before Telpac came out.

What is a bit mind boggling to me is this - Telpac nodes apparently have
the ability to connect to an FBB or JNOS server over the internet and deliver
the mail that way. BUT wait, the NOS servers already have the ability (for
years) to accept DIRECT packet connections from packet users out in the
field, and deliver the mail themselves. In which case Telpac becomes an
extra step in between, one that is not required for those cases.

To be fair, many out there want nothing to do with NOS or linux for that
matter, so they go the Windows route. To each their own, no big deal, no
war needs to be waged about it. But I think it's only fair to make the
above clarification, so that there are no misunderstandings in what
each of the packages are capable of.

> The only trick part that might take some tweaking of the code is the
> sending of regular Email via Winlink.  That requires the format:
>
>   sp smtp:wa7nwp at jnos.org

Most xNOS have built in SMTP services. Again, NOS is fully capable of
sending email on it's own. What's the point of forwarding it over a Telpac
client interface over the internet to a WinLink system for delivery to
it's destination ? I can connect to my JNOS from out in the field, type
in my email message, and JNOS itself will deliver it to the destination.

> There are two potential interfaces to Winlink here.

> AX25 to a Telpac(_node on linux) or

For those running JNOS systems, there is no need to run a Telpac
node if all they want to do is deliver email.

> Telnet to their servers at port 12001.

I don't plan on it. I don't see the point.

> Source code is available so we might be able to put
> telpack_node right in to NOS.

Doesn't need it. It's there already.

> telpac_node/LinuX offers no GUI or other nice features,
> it is just a small tool used like the well known ax25-tools
> together with ax25d.

Again it comes down to choice. You can go the ax25 tools/utils
route, you can go the NOS route, or you can go the Windows route
with the Telpac node software.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM