[nos-bbs] fighting outgoing smtp

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Tue Jul 5 09:53:38 EDT 2005

maiko at pcs.mb.ca schreef:

>>can't seem to get jnos to unqueu the mail that has to go out to
>>the smtp gateway.
>>

>What's the smtp timer set to ?

600

>run 'smtp trace 10', then 'smtp kick', what do the logs show ?

It connects to the domainname set in hostname, in my case
pe1rdw.ampr.org being my jnos system and the exits with a adress unknown.
If I set hostname so something else it will connect to that on smtp
kick.from what I can tell it takes the smtp server from the from field.

>>set to pe1rdw.ampr.org but smtp mail is only queued.
>>

>Perhaps smtp.wanadoo.nl is not liking the fact that you
>are an ampr.org station. When you talk to them, are you
>looking like a 44 address to them ? If you choose to use
>a 'commercial' ISP, I recommend you masquerade the smtp
>so that it looks like it's coming from a 'commercial'
>ip address. That 'guarantees' delivery.

I´m behind a nat firewall so to them I look like I´m from the ip they
asigned to me.

>>I have set smtp gateway  smtp.wanadoo.nl and smtp usemx off
>>

>Sounds good.
>

>>Anyone got an idea ?
>>

>You are running the smtp right ? (ie, 'start smtp').

yep that is running alright.

>Maiko

I think if I can get jnos to actualy connect to the smtp gateway and not
the domain in the FROM field it would work.

73 de Andre PE1RDW