[nos-bbs] promoting packet and maybe xNOS?

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Tue Jul 5 00:33:03 EDT 2005

Hi Rick,

Nice to see you on the list. I recognize your callsign
from some contributions you recently made to an eham.net
article, and digitalradio mailing list at yahoo groups.

It's just coincidence that I was reading your comments the other
day. It was interesting reading, particularily with respect to some
of the issues and challenges regarding the WinLink system.

> Why do you think that the xNOS's never caught on?

I was being a bit sarcastic ...

In my opinion it's not obsolete. Technically it's no different than
the modern IOS software that runs on routers. It just needs to have
more appeal to the average user, needs to be more user friendly.

That's on the todo list of course ... it won't happen tommorrow ...

With all the history and work that's been put into the NOS projects
over the years, I would say the NOS methodology is a great solution
for SERIOUS amateur radio networking. I haven't had to reinvent any
wheels in the years I've worked with it.

> What is solution for serious amateur radio networking if
> not some NOS structure ?

I'm not sure how else I can answer this question, without first
asking everyone else who does amateur radio networking. I do not
think the solution itself should be dictated in terms of what
software one uses. Bear with me if I get too philosophical ...

However, I get the feeling that some of the more recent so called
advances in serious amateur radio networking have been done without
better looking at past successes, and just building on those past
successes instead.

BUT - that's the nature of this hobby anyways, and we need to deal
with the reality of that situation. Cooperation is essential between
the various groups. If groups do not wish to participate or if groups
consider things done by other groups as obsolete, then so be it.

The only solution left in those cases is to try and integrate *your*
product into the main stream and hope that it works for the benefit
of everyone involved. Perhaps the process of integration will succeed
to the point that others will finally notice (or not) ...

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM