[nos-bbs] observation - triggered the AirMail *NO DATA* scenario

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Wed Jan 26 13:10:27 EST 2005

Well,

Sure enough, I did a test forward with N0GQ this morning from JNOS to
his AirMail system using the SCS PTC on 20 meters. I was able to
successfully get a message over to his system by the looks of it. I
then tried to do a reverse forward a bit later to pick up any messages
that might be waiting for me.

I got the connect, but NO DATA ! I would say that JNOS has somehow
managed to trigger this. I've attached some debug information to this,
which I will forward to the AirMail author. If any of you know the
author, feel free to forward this information to him as well.

It looks like (in this case anyways) that when I got an FF from AirMail,
if I disconnect without sending an FQ back, it *might* trigger the problem
where AirMail goes into limbo. That's only one observation so far.

Here's the sequence that happened this morning :

1) I connect to Airmail, and get the following :

 [AirMail-3.2.022-B2FHIM$]
 (am|em:h1,g:CN87wu)
 Welcome to N0GQ's AirMail box,
 Please type H for Help
 No Traffic
 VE4KLM de N0GQ>

2) I send this :

 [JNOS-2.0c1-FHIM$]
 FB P VE4KLM N0GQ N0GQ 296_VE4KLM 558

3) I receive this :

 FS +

4) I send my mail (non compressed) :

 test forward from jnos to airmail on 20 meters ...

 Hi Jeff,
 hopefully this makes it to your system. leave a reply for me and
 I'll try and pick it off a bit later using reverse forwarding.
 thanks for having your system available for testing
 73 Maiko

 ^Z

5) I then get a 1.5 minute pause, followed by this from AirMail :

 ; VE4KLM de N0GQ
 FF

6) I do NOT send an FQ by the looks of it (my fault) and I then force
   a disconnect. Perhaps the failure to send the FQ is causing the AirMail
   to go into limbo (forcing remote sysop to restart AirMail) ?

That's all for this morning.

Maiko