[nos-bbs] NOS NET

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Sat Feb 5 12:40:46 EST 2005

With NOS we have a fun and useful radio interface.  We have an Internet client/server.  We
have the technology to hook up dynamically with some folks running as hosts.

What we don't have is a simple, relatively open, generic system for "getting on the
network" from a NOS system.

For example,  after compiling up a new NOS installation, it could be possible to
do something like:

  attach nosnet  rotate.jnos.org  call=wa7nwp  password=topsecret

Where rotate.jnos.org would resolve to one of any number of nosnet server systems.

Once joined, it would be like being on a simple ax25 packet network for packet
traffic, netrom's etc.

The next step would be to bring that to RF so local stations would be on "nosnet"
via the radio.

NOSNET would be a high speed packet backbone.

APRS has this with the APRS-IS  (http://www.aprs-is.net) and Winlink has it
with their network of Telpac nodes.   Both are universal systems with access
anywhere that all looks the same for the users.

This is a new idea and my first attempt at writing things up.  Any thoughts or
suggestions?

73,
Bill - WA7NWP
http://www.jnos.org