[nos-bbs] Re: AXUDP and APRS

Andre v Schayk andre at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Sat Apr 9 04:42:22 EDT 2005

wa7nwp at jnos.org schreef:

>>I'm surprised that the APRS internet system was not initially started as
>>a collection of AXIP or AXUDP tunnels between the participating systems,
>>with the core servers being nothing more than a specialized form of AX25
>>router.
>>

>The folks that started the APRS network had no prior experience
>with packet.   They didn't know what was out there so they
>did a lot of re-inventing...
>
>They still don't know what else is available.  NIH syndrome.
>
>I should have some "aprs" tunnels available soon...  It'll be fun
>to see what we can do.
>
>Bill

It´s logical when you look how aprs was designed..
The first programs used tnc´s in dumb taprstyle terminal mode, they
never tought about using kiss.
This means that the whole internet system had to mimic the behavior of a
tapr tnc and the interfacing to the tnc had to work in dumb terminal
mode too wich gave birth to the third party format.
axip and axudp tunnels where suggested but the designers found it to
much work.

the layout of the aprs stream is not to bad tough with several hubs
interconnected that are serounded by tier2 servers, the users connect to
the tier2 servers that in turn connect to one of the hubs, this offered
some load balancing.
I think the biggest chalange is preventing loops, that could bring down
the net.

73 de Andre PE1RDW