AXUDP and APRS (was [nos-bbs] Remote AX25)

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Fri Apr 8 09:58:44 EDT 2005

Bill wrote :

> But can RFA (on BOXA) connect to BOXB without the digipeater ?

No you would need a digipeater of some type.

Bill wrote :

> Imagine a page of AXUPD ampr connections similar to the port 14501
> of APRS servers resulting from a similar login scheme.

I'm surprised that the APRS internet system was not initially started as
a collection of AXIP or AXUDP tunnels between the participating systems,
with the core servers being nothing more than a specialized form of AX25
router.

When I first saw the way the APRS internet system was put together (using
tcp/ip between systems), the first thing I thought to myself was - why not
just use AX25 tunnels (axip or axudp) to link everthing together, since in
the end, it's RF (ax25) to begin with.

I've ALWAYS thought using AXIP or AXUDP would be a good way to build an
APRS internet system. So many existing packet applications already support
stuff like AXUDP, so integrating these applications into an APRS internet
system would be alot easier I think. These protocols also have ALOT less
overhead than any TCP/IP based system.

Maiko Langelaar / VE4KLM