[nos-bbs] PACTOR questions for those (seriously) interested !

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Thu Oct 28 00:58:08 EDT 2004

Okay,

Well, I suppose the first thing we need to do is get a list of
all of the different hardware we can expect that people are going
to want to use here for Pactor I and better.

Here is a little snippet I found summarizing our challenge :

  The PTC-II works in a host mode of its own and Jean Paul
  has made the FBB interface to conform to that interfacing
  protocol. It delivers a channel status output that is used
  by FBB to sense whether the channel is busy or not, and so,
  control the scanning and calling. I believe it is UNIQUE
  to the PTC-II.

BUT, there is other hardware out there too, like my old DXP-38
for instance. There is a HAYES compatible Modem command set on
that one, which technically we could build a quick and dirty
interface where we tell the DXP-38 to connect to the other end
just like a regular phone modem init string, then funnel all
the data we want through it.

I would like to identify all the potential hardware that we are
looking at here, and try and find a common interface standard, if
that is at all possible. In the case of PTC II controllers, I have
the code from F6FBB for the PTC II interface. Provided I want to use
it as my basis for the PTC II only, it will probably take some time
to figure out how on earth I'm going to get a JNOS equivalent.

Anyways, send me what you have.

Maiko