[nos-bbs] JNOS 2.0a - status report and update

maiko at pcs.mb.ca maiko at pcs.mb.ca
Mon Nov 29 23:59:39 EST 2004

Hello all

Just a quick update. JNOS 2.0a is now available :

   http://www.langelaar.net/projects/jnos2

I'm starting to use release identifiers (ie, 2.0a) now that
things are moving along. Makes it alot easier to figure out
how to apply the proper patches, etc.

1) A TUN driver is now available to replace SLIP to connect
   your JNOS to linux networking. No more SLATTACH required,
   although you can still use that if you want (ie, I have
   not removed SLIP. I've simply provided an alternative).

2) The feature that lets you specify a DYNDNS type gateway (ie,
   a domain name) for the gateway parameter in the 'route add ...'
   command finally seems to be working properly.

3) Just to reiterate, you can also use DYNDNS type remote hosts (ie,
   a domain name) for the remote host parameter in the attach AXUDP
   or attach AXIP commands.

4) A new DOCUMENTS section that I will add to as time permits. Current
   articles detail how to configure the TUN, how to use IPUDP feature
   so that you can encap through a firewall or NAT router, and how to
   use a DXP38 Halcomm modem for Clover connects from the BBS prompt.

   More to be added as time permits.

5) The DOS source is uptodate again, the compile instructions are a
   bit complicated (sorry folks, I'm still fighting with the proper
   way of doing the makefile) - but I am able to compile using the
   Borland C++ 3.0 and 3.1 - the EXE is generated and runs fine.