[hfsig] soliciting advice regarding 30m HAT

Bruce Raymond bruce at raymondtech.net
Mon Feb 11 08:51:40 EST 2019

Hi Chris,

I picked a 7 pole lpf to ensure I met the FCC/Part 97  -43 dBC
requirement. According to Elsie 2.72, the lpf response is -46 dBc for
the second harmonic on 30m. The MOSFET is acting sorta like a switch, so
the output should be primarily odd order harmonics, although the
measurement for 40m shows this isn't completely true :-)

I'm also assuming that the antenna isn't as good at radiating a second
harmonic compared to the fundamental. I made a 40m dipole model and
analyzed it with 4NEC (I'm new to this process and don't know that I've
necessarily done it correctly). The return loss is -15 dB at 7 MHz and
essentially 0 dB at 14 MHz. I'm assuming that this means for my
particular model the antenna essentially does a 15 dB worse job of
radiating the 40m second harmonic than it does at the fundamental, so
with the existing 30m lpf (-23 dB reduction of second harmonic) the
actual radiation of the second harmonic would be down very roughly -38
dBc (23 + 15). This is still greater than -43 dBc requirement, but we're
dealing with power levels very much less than allowed, so if it's okay
to radiate -43 dBc with 1500 watts, we're allowed to put out 75 mW. The
WSPR transmitter with a 30m lpf is way below that even at 40m.

Hope this helps.

73 Bruce