[hfsig] WsprryPi sends tone only for a few seconds

John C. Peterson jcp at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 18 03:10:14 EDT 2018

I had problems trying to use PiCW about a year ago. You didn't describe
what happened *after* transmission stopped, but in my case, the R-Pi froze
completely and required a cold reboot.

I had some spare time to look into it, and discovered some non-trivial
software related problems with PiCW that I was able to fix after some
lengthy detective work. (I don't think these problems were James' fault,
but appeared to have come from the new "mailbox" code for the Broadcom
PWM chip that came from another project).  My fork of PiCW with the
fixes is here;

https://github.com/jcp-sd/PiCW

The "plot thickens" is apropos at this point. One of the things the bad
code did was to *DELETE* the PWM device node and try to re-create it
(which it didn't do correctly among other problems).  I can't fathom
what the intended purpose of that was, but that's what was there!!! So
the bottom line is if you have ever (even once) run a version of PiCW
with this issue, your PWM device node has been trashed and you need a
fresh OS install to get back on track.

I posted a pull request to James' project page for my PiCW fork, but just
guessing he got busy (as I am now) and didn't see it. His version of PiCW
still has this issue that mangles your PWM device node, so caveat emptor!

At that time, I was using an older version of WsprryPi that was working
fine, but later discovered James' newest version had the same issues as
PiCW. I created a fork of WsprryPi with the same fixes that James has
since merged into his master branch. So his latest WsprryPi should be
good to go...

I'm guessing that James' latest WsprryPi will work fine on a *fresh*
install of the OS (just don't use his PiCW!).  You mentioned you were
using a Stretch (Debian 9) based distro, and I have not tested that. So
if that does not work, it's possible there has been some new regression
with the PWM mailbox driver in the Stretch distros. In that case,
I would try an older Jessie or Wheezy based distro for your R-Pi...

P.S. Your TAPR Wspr-Pi shield is probably just fine. The shield isn't even
required to run WsprryPi (a suitable BP filter is ...) I experimented
with it for a close to a year using my own filters before the shield
was even available.