[hfsig] RPi2B with the tapr board ...

John C. Peterson jcp at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 2 17:36:51 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 01, 2016 at 06:58:46PM -0800, Orrin Winton wrote:
> Thanks for the pinout, i have that, but:
> My issue is this:
>
> When i use the wsprrypi app, i need a pin that will jump up from 0V to 5V
> when the Pi transmits, and the pin has to be able to supply about 10mA to a
> 5V reed relay.

Orrin,

I am not 100% certain, but I have poked around quite a bit in the
wsprrypi source code and I don't recall seeing anything to suggest
that it does that. A few options for you:

1) Keep in mind that WSPR transmissions have a pretty high duty cycle.
 They always start on an even valued minute (0,2,4,6,8) and last for
 1 min 52 sec. That is why accurate time is essential for anybody to
 hear you.

 The 8 second gap allows for those who live in countries where you must
 always ident by CW to do so. Perhaps you could key up your amp just
 once when you go on the air, until you shutdown completely?

2) Given the regular nature of WSPR transmissions, you could always
 write another small program in C to raise/lower the voltage on an
 unused GPIO pin at the appropriate times.

3) Perhaps a VOX strategy of some kind would work, by watching RF
 output.

73 John

--
John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ