[hfsig] Motorcycle mobile - PDA

Greenman Family coombedn at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 27 14:48:04 EST 2006

Jack,

I understand the limitations of operating motorbike mobile! I operated
bike mobile for several years in the late 1980s. While I only was ever
equipped for VHF and UHF mobile, I understand the problems with space,
physical robustness, interference suppression and power budget. Back
then, equipping a helmet for sound was something of a challenge as well.
I used a dual-band hand-held (Yaesu FT-727R) strapped to the tank, a
separate SLA battery, and a homebrew pack-rack mounted 1/2 wave end-fed
vertical antenna. I'd love to follow you into HF mobiling, but need
forst to get my bike back on the road (1985 Honda FT-400).

You might be interested in trying PSK31 and MFSK16 on your PDA -

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/november2006/pocketdigi.htm

This interesting new software operates both PSK31 and MFSK16, and I have
no doubt that more modes will follow when OK1IAK works out how to do it.
The software is based on a porting of gMFSK from LINUX, and so there is
plenty of opportunity for new modes to be added.

While there is other radio software for PDAs, such as a packet program,
I don't know of any other HF digital mode software.

I'm envious of your bike!

73,
Murray ZL1BPU