[hfsig] New to the list....

Greenman Family coombedn at ihug.co.nz
Wed Dec 27 03:08:48 EST 2006

Jack,

I'm not personally in favour of mail type HF operation, so my response
will be coloured somewhat...

The best HF digital activity these days is in the area of chat modes.
You have been operating PSK31, so you know what I mean. You need to
check out especially the new DominoEX mode (www.qsl.net/zl1bpu/DOMINO),
which is way easier to use than most other modes, and gives much better
performance than PSK31, especially as you intend to operate portable.
DominoEX is especially suited to 80m evenings.

There are some ACTIVE HF mail systems, but with the exception of the
relatively new PSKmail (which uses a LINUX platform), they use
proprietary (and expensive) modems. These systems also use quite a bit
of bandwidth.

You are within range of ZL during the evening on 80m. We have an active
digital modes net on 3560kHz LSB, and most evenings at present you will
hear me and Con ZL2AFP on the frequency. We would be very pleased to
work you in DominoEX to demonstrate its capabilities. The software is on
the above website, and will operate on an old 133MHz laptop easily, so
great for portable use.

73,
Murray ZL1BPU