[hfsig] Re: [Flexradio] The final nail in the coffin of Morse?

Hare, Ed W1RFI w1rfi at arrl.org
Thu Jul 21 06:15:07 EDT 2005

> I agree that people will continue to use it but you do have to admit
> that it is human nature not to take on difficult challenges that are not necessary

Amateur Radio itself if a difficult challenge that is not necessary.

If you believe that Morse code has value, then its value will cause people to choose to learn and use it. If you believe that it does not have value, then you would probably also believe that there is no reason to test for skill in its use.

And from what I can see from very active discussion boards and hear on the bands, interest in AM operating is growing... and these guys did not have to pass a test that required them to do much work learning about AM. In fact, if there were any AM-related questions on their exams, they could have gotten them wrong and still been given a license and still been allowed to operate AM.

If amateur radio were not to survive 50 years, it will not be the lack of a Morse code test that is its undoing.  It will the the deep divisions in our ranks that are reminscent to me of the "channel-master" wars on 11 meters.   How and why some express their love of amateur radio with so much hate toward their fellow hams and somehow think that their hate is saving amateur radio, I will never figure out if I survice those 50 years.

Ed Hare, W1RFI