[hfsig] RE: random byte stream compression - probably not

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Mon Sep 27 19:23:38 EDT 2004

G'Day

GPS is not much use for data compression. Normal algorithms work well to
compress data so that it is 100% random.

My thoughts on GPS is that I don't think it would help too much. From what I
know of HF the delays are quite variable [Hey, I am one of these people who
believes that a Worked All Bands award is for 50, 144, 440 and 1.2 MHz and
GHz)

If you look at http://www.johanforrer.net/SIMULR/ you will find that for a
simulated channel from Boulder, Co to Washington DC you can have a 1 Hz
frequency spread, and 2 mSec delay. But when the signal varies from good to
poor the delay varies a lot.

If you are sending at a low bitrate I think GPS would help, but only where
each symbol was approx 10 mSec minimum.

But then you have to ask yourself why you could not self-synchronize, which
is what you need to do anyway since GPS will give absolute time, not
relative time.

Darryl

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au\blog\ - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking