[hfsig] Performance of 24/192 soundcards? USB Soundcards

Alexander Kurpiers a.kurpiers at nt.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Sep 22 09:59:06 EDT 2004

Mark Jordan wrote:
> 	Hi Anthony,
>
> 	I have sent you a 200kb ZIP file with the G3RUH circuit and partlist.
> 	It would be very interesting having a 9k6bps modem that works without
> needing DC frequency response.

This could already be done with the original modem design, you just need a
DFE in the receiver.
This is done e.g. in the ALEF NULL project (see PAM-Signaling)
ftp://ftp.tapr.org/dsp/Motorola/dsp56001/dsp_card_4/doc2.pdf

The problem is: if you have a transceiver with bad DC response a receiver
with DFE could still be used. But nobody we a "normal" receiver can copy
your signal well. So you better go and improve your TX to be "compatible"...
I would perhaps make sense to have something like that in the receiver of
the digipeater to allow the users to have a bad DC response.
Question is: is anybody still interested in 9k6 anyway :-(