[hfsig] Performance of 24/192 soundcards? USB Soundcards

Anthony.N.Martin at marconiselenia.com Anthony.N.Martin at marconiselenia.com
Tue Sep 21 12:42:07 EDT 2004

> We try to find if a card can work on 9600b, (On 9600b I
> am using the standard 44.100khz sampling rate), and
> imagine there are Soundcards that cannot work even on
> 44.100khz right.

Members on the AGW list suggested LF response was also an issue.
No-one specs LF response, but all PC audio codecs use DC
blocking caps and possibly also some IIR digital HPF in the
sigma-delta ADCs. For digital radio, LF response is probably
important to you, particularly I&Q matching of the LF response,
and if it's determined by a pair of -20% +50% electrolytics...

Consumer cards are often 5.1 surround these days, which means
a dedicated bass subwoofer output and who cares about the LF
on the other channels.

I haven't fully understood why LF should be an issue for G3RUH
9600 packet. 9600 NRZI HDLC has a max run length without
transitions of 6 bits (0.625ms), so lowest frequency component
would be 800Hz. With a 5x margin, 160Hz cutoff should be enough.
Even with 300Hz performance might suffer in poor SNR but shouldn't
fall over. I don't see anything in G3RUH that breaks properties of
HDLC so it may be the G3RUH implementation is at fault. I don't
think anyone has looped round a G3RUH via an adjustable HPF to get
any hard facts anyhow.

Ant M1FDE

This email and any attached files contains company confidential information
which may be legally privileged.  it is intended only for the person(s) or
entity to which it is addressed and solely for the purposes set forth
therein.  If you are not the intended recipient or have received this email
in error please notify the sender by return, delete it from your system and
destroy any local copies.  It is strictly forbidden to use the information
in this email including any attachment or part thereof including copying,
disclosing, distributing, amending or using for any other purpose.

In addition the sender excludes all liabilities (whether tortuous or common
law) for damage or breach arising or related to this email including but
not limited to viruses and libel.