[hfsig] LinLink

dubose at texas.net dubose at texas.net
Wed Aug 4 15:59:33 EDT 2004

FYI.

Walt/K5YFW

Name:  LinLink

Purpose:  An Open Source Enhanced Digital Messaging for Amateur Radio Utilizing
Source Code From Previously Release Amateur Radio Open Source Applications .

Mission:  Provide to Amateur Radio Operators and emergency service and disaster
relief organizations with a low or no cost system utilizing enabling
technologies and sound operating practices to provide a full-featured radio
digital message transfer system with attachments, map & text-based position
reporting such as Xastric, graphic & text-based weather bulletin services such
as developed by Texas A&M Univ. Packet based on AX.25 and AX.25 BBS
applications such as JNOS and Q15X25. An MTA using existing RFC compliant
standards and an HF mode using current highspeed, robust computer sound card
applications such as MT63 and Q15X25.

Hardware:  The hardware suggested is a computer running a 350 MHz CPU or better
(the higher the better), 128 MB RAM (256 MB RAM suggested), 4-0 GB Hard drive,
CD ROM (X42 suggested) and floppy. A sound card equal to the Sound Blaster 16
or better may be required.

Software:
The initial thrust will be a server/high end client application(s) will require
one of the current Linux Distributions, mostly likely Suse, Debian, Mandrake or
the like. Later, or simultaneously if we can obtain the programming support we
will attempt to provide a high end client for Microsoft operating systems. For
the high end client, we also plan to have a Linux system running completely
from a CD so that you can boot up the system from the CD and not disturb your
currently installed operating system. Additionally, for low end clients, we
plan to be able to use common available terminal applications or perhaps even
current Packet programs.

 Cost:  There will be NO cost for any of the software and it will be
downloadable from LinLink via the Internet. However, if someone desires to make
the applications available on media, they may charge for the duplication, media
and distribution cost. The products themselves will be licensed under the terms
of GNU GPL license. See http://www.gnu.org

Development:  The development team's desire is to provide a produce that meets,
to the extent possible, the data transfer (traffic) requirements of the DHS,
FEMA, the ARRL, MARS, CAP RACES, ARES or other disaster response or
relief agencies such as the Red Cross, REACT and Salvation Army. We will modify
the applications as necessary, in a timely manner, to meet changing
requirements . Since the applications will be released under the GNU GPL
license, any individual may change the application as they see fit as long as
the released changes and they are released under the GNU GPL license. The
applications  will be capable of E-Mail delivery via the Internet, HF and V/UHF
SMTP and BBS formats, and HF and V/UHF AX.25 BBS Formats. We will also have the
ability to print out messages in ARRL and MARS formats for transfer to voice
systems.

Contact:  Currently the points of contact are Walt DuBose/K5YFW, E-Mail
dubose at texas.net; Curt Mills/ WE7U, E-Mail archer at eskimo.com; Gerry
Creager/N5JXS, E-Mail n5jxs at tamu.edu.