[aprssig] APRS Foundation and Privacy Concerns

Jeff Hochberg jeffh at aprsfoundation.org
Tue Sep 17 00:08:52 EDT 2024

I received some feedback from someone who signed up earlier today to become
a new member...

They were perturbed (and rightfully so) that they were required to provide
their Date of Birth.

The screenshot I've included (see below) shows the field intentionally left
as "active" but not "required." I completely disabled it to ensure it
doesn't become an issue.

We only provided the *option* for members to add their birthday (if they
opted to do so) so we could send a "Happy Birthday" message.

The Foundation takes privacy VERY seriously!

 I'm not sure what happened, but I already told the vendor about it.
They've responded and are looking into it.

We will review every member's record and manually delete the DOB field and
value from anyone who completed it. I don't even feel comfortable knowing
it's in the database!

We understand the seriousness of this, especially for people living in
parts of the world where GDPR is applicable - and I commit to ensuring the
Foundation maintains GDPR compliance wherever we are required to do so.

If anyone has any questions or concerns about privacy, don't hesitate to
get in touch with the Foundation, and we will get back to you. Again, we
take this very seriously and want to maintain your trust.

https://www.aprsfoundation.org/contact-us

[image: 2024-09-16_23-26-30.png]

Jeff Hochberg - W4JEW
President
APRS Foundation Inc
jeffh at aprsfoundation.org

--
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) (EU) 2016/679, we have
a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. Information