[aprssig] New VARA-HF Softmodem A Spectacular Improvement For HF APRS

Stephen H Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Wed Jan 11 15:38:47 EST 2023

On 1/9/2023 12:30 PM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
>> Over the weekend of the 6th and 7th of January , I conducted a road test comparing the performance of APRS over traditional HF 300-baud AX.25 packet vs APRS using the VARA modem on 60 meters. This was a 500-mile round-trip from central Michigan (East Lansing area) to west suburban Chicago and back. VARA was overwhelmingly superior - by least an order of magnitude!
> Are you planning on doing a comparison between VARA and PSK63 or MFSK16?
>
> 73,
> Eric WG3K

YES!   Here is the preliminary write-up on the planned test in February.

<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_VARA_MFSK/>

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

-- APRS over FLdigi Modes  --
<http://wa8lmf.net//FLdigiAPRS/index.htm>

60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating
<http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Flying Digipeater!
<http://WA8LMF.net/FlyingDigi>

11 Copies of UIview in Action on One Computer!
Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
<http://wa8lmf.net/map>