[aprssig] New VARA-HF Softmodem A Spectacular Improvement For HF APRS

Stephen H Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 13:30:42 EST 2023

On 1/9/2023 12:30 PM, Eric H. Christensen wrote:
> [...]

Yes,   I plan to try this on an upcoming road trip to the Traverse City
Swapmeet on Feb 11.  This is about 150 miles / 240 Km to the northwest of my
home location, so should be a good test of medium-distance NVIS propagation.

Before then, I need to re-jigger the serial-KISS to TCPIP-KISS connections on
my main HF APRS webserver.

Currently, the KISS-over-IP port of FLdigi is being bridged to the
KISS-over-serial port of UIview with a kludge of the open-source com0com
utility combined with it's companion COM2TCP utility.

I am now replacing this setup with the comport tools in Eterlogic's VSPE
(Virtual Serial Port Emulator). These freeware tools allow you to construct a
variety of virtual COM port devices including null modems, one-to-many
splitters (useful for sharing a GPS data stream to more than one application at
a time), serial<-->IP bridges (both client and server TCPIP), and a unique
device -- the "serial connector". The "connector" is like a virtual null-modem
except that both ends have the SAME com number.
     This allows two serial-using applications to connect to talk to each other
by both selecting, for example, "COM8" - thus conserving COM numbers in complex
setups. Especially valuable for older legacy software like UIview (and many
others) that only know the first 8 COM numbers.

VSPE has a complete GUI interface that lets you create, modify or destroy these
various "widgets" without editing command lines, .ini files, or endlessly
rebooting to make changes effective. You can save your multiple constructions
into a " .VSPE " file that can reload your setup on demand with a single
double-click.

Finally, I have found that VSPE widgets are really  bullet-proof stable, and
have far better error recovery that widgets built with com0com. With com0com,
startup sequence of the various apps in my setup was critical.  With VSPE, you
can start stuff in any order, and they just "take off and fly".

Download "VSPE" here:

<https://eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html>

The 32-bit version is free, and will work on 64-bit Windows systems.  The
native 64-bit version (USD $25) contains Microsoft-signed drivers for Win
7-8-10-11. This allows you to configure widgets as Windows system services that
load at boot.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
EchoLink:  Node #  14400  [Think bottom of the 2-meter band]
Home Page: http://wa8lmf.net

-- APRS over FLdigi Modes  --
<http://wa8lmf.net//FLdigiAPRS/index.htm>

60-Meter APRS!   HF NVIS APRS Igate Now Operating
<http://wa8lmf.ddns.net:14447/>

Flying Digipeater!
<http://WA8LMF.net/FlyingDigi>

11 Copies of UIview in Action on One Computer!
Live Off-The-Air APRS Activity Maps
<http://wa8lmf.net/map>