[aprssig] New VARA-HF Softmodem A Spectacular Improvement For HF APRS

Jess Haas k5lli at jesshaas.com
Mon Jan 9 10:48:24 EST 2023

I stumbled on someones attempt to document it based on what the author has
put out. https://github.com/pengowray/VaraHuffmanNet

Don't think there are legal barriers to creating an open source
implementation. The author does currently charge for access to some
features of their implementation but I doubt they are making much from it.
Could probably raise a little money to support their work if they wanted to
support an open source implementation.

It looks like their current version is written in VB6 so even if they are
willing to release everything as open source a rewrite in C or another
language would probably be desirable.  Not a rabbit hole I am currently
able to go down but I may be up for throwing support and resources towards
it in the future.

-Jess
K5LLI