[aprssig] New VARA-HF Softmodem A Spectacular Improvement For HF APRS

Jess Haas k5lli at jesshaas.com
Mon Jan 9 08:59:10 EST 2023

That is great news. Sadly I feel like the proprietary windows only nature
of a lot of these modes is why they never really take off as much as they
should.

With modes that have an open source implementation it can be much easier to
properly setup igates as well as have reassurance that it will be properly
maintained and able to run on modern hardware well into the future. If APRS
had used a proprietary encoding from the start it never would have taken
off the way it has.

-Jess
K5LLI