[aprssig] arrl.net domain e-mail sending failures?

Michael Pittaro mikeyp at lhrc.com
Mon Feb 13 21:10:44 EST 2023

[I edited the subject; I hope it doesn't break threading. ]

I'm not sure the ARRL will really be able to fix this in the long term by
changing their SPF record.  At some point, we have to face reality - SPF
was designed to prevent exactly what we're trying to do here!

Changing to a Pass for all origins would enable massive spoofing for the
arrl.net domain - not what we want. Changing to a Neutral or Soft Fail for
unknown origins will just punt the decision to the recipient servers, That
_should_ allow delivery, but IMHO recipient servers are probably going to
tighten up in the future.

The ACM offers a similar forwarding service in the acm.org domain.  The ACM
SPF record uses ~all / SoftFail for unknown origins.
https://www.nslookup.io/domains/acm.org/dns-records/spf/

I'm not sure what the long term fix is short of the ARRL providing full
email services.  Maybe providing an outgoing forwarding server using SRS
might be part of a solution (http://www.open-spf.org/SRS/)

mike, kjcvcp