[aprssig] SmartBeaconing source

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu Aug 24 16:02:34 EDT 2023

On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 02:43:20PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ak9r.lists at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Is the SmartBeaconing algorithm documented anywhere on the web?
>
> For several years after the HamHUD hardware project dissolved, the
> HamHUD.net website was maintained with a web page that documented the
> algorithm as developed by Tony Arnerich KD7TA and Steve Bragg KA9MVA. But,
> the HamHUD.net domain name now appears to be in the hands of a domain name
> broker.
>
> I know that the Kenwood TM-D710 In Depth manual has a pretty good
> explanation of SmartBeaconing, but I was hoping to find something on the
> web.

Not sure if this is good enough for you, but Xastir has an open-source
C implementation of smart beaconing with a lot of comments about how it
is implemented and how it works.

See https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/blob/master/src/db.c around line 16040.
The function is "compute_smart_beacon" and the function itself starts around
line 16130 (so 90 lines of comment precede it).

This is by no means definitive documentation, but as it fully implements the
algorithm it might do for your purposes.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM