[aprssig] APRS-IS and metadata

Borja Marcos ea2ekh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 17 07:25:23 EDT 2023

> On 17 Aug 2023, at 10:46, Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) <KJ4ERJ at arrl.net> wrote:
>
> Are you asking for something like this?
>
> https://github.com/aprsorg/aprs-deviceid
>
> It exists and is the new repository replacing Bob's old non-parseable ToCall list (http://www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt) and adding additional meta-data about the platforms.

> PS.  Here's what it has currently:
>
>> Tocall index (tocalls):
>>     • tocall: The APRS destination callsign allocated for an application
>>     • vendor: Vendor / author string identifying either the person or organisation producing the device or application.
>>     • model: Device or software model
>>     • class: A device class identifier, referring to the class index
>>     • os: Operating system identifier
>>     • features: Feature flags indicating optional features implemented on this device
>>         • messaging: The device is messaging capable
>>         • item-in-msg: The device is capable of receiving APRS items in text messages

To complete my previous answer.

Unless I am very wrong, if I need to perform a search based on that metadata I need to:

First, find on that the list of device IDs that match my search.

Second, do a search for every one of the device IDs I have obtained.

That would be expensive to implement! Using a more modern database and proper record labelling with metadata this
becomes much much easier.

73,

Borja - EA2EK