[aprssig] Open Source/Commercial Use acceptable APRS Alternative?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Aug 7 22:37:53 EDT 2023

It might have been used in Australia but the protocol development was
done by me here in California, back when I was active on SAR myself. The
basic idea was a simple type-length-value format with efficient binary
encoding, no weird math required (Mic-E uses exponents that were easy
for Bob in GWBASIC but were a pain for embedded developers),
extensibility, and graceful handling of unsupported features.

One of my favorite aspects of it (which I totally cribbed from
MIL-STD-2525B) was the object type/symbol system. Bob's scheme was very
ad hoc and symbol types got added as he saw fit with no particular
system. It was fine in the early 90s when there weren't a lot of station
types but it got unwieldy. The OpenTRAC scheme is hierarchical and makes
it easy to add fine-grained distinctions between station types while
letting clients not up to date on the latest still figure out roughly
what it is - like you can tell something is a ground vehicle even if you
don't know that the rest of the code specifies a class A RV. The
protocol finds use in some of my totally unrelated projects - if you go
to a Cirque du Soleil show where a performer has several LED hula hoops
on stage and sniff WiFi traffic you might see OpenTRAC packets over UDP
advertising a station type of 3.2.10.15.0 for ground
equipment/lighting/display/portable.

One thing I really wanted to do back then was to allow efficient
real-time and non-real-time traffic handling for SAR situations where
teams and vehicles were moving in and out of contact with each other and
with network infrastructure, so the latest information would propagate
through the network even if portions were isolated for hours. A vehicle
passing over a ridge might pick up a field team's transmissions, and
then move back into network coverage later and pass those updates on.
Another thing I wanted to do that would be a lot more feasible now was
to support RFID-based tracking of vehicle contents, including
passengers, so the command post would know that Rescue-3 had a 400 foot
rope bag and a Stokes litter, for example. People and equipment have a
way of getting shuffle around in the field such that the command post
loses track of who and what is where.

Cheap, ubiquitous satellite data coverage is coming so maybe none of
this will matter. I've made it part of the informal mission statement of
the radio side of my company, though, that we're here to develop
solutions that don't /require/ constant connectivity. Silicon Valley
likes to operate on an assumption of reliable data coverage, to the
extent that I can't even reliably listen to my downloaded music on my
favorite music app because when you move out of coverage the app simply
hangs for 10 minutes or more. Yeah, it'll play offline, it just doesn't
gracefully handle /going/ offline and no one cares to test it.

Man, I haven't ranted on the SIG in ages. Feels like the old days.

Scott
N1VG