[aprssig] Open Source/Commercial Use acceptable APRS Alternative?

wa7skg wa7skg at wa7skg.com
Mon Aug 7 21:46:49 EDT 2023

While I, too, have heard that Bob said it was prohibited to use the APRS
protocol commercially, I do know it was done. There was a maintenance
business in McAllen, TX that had a business frequency for dispatching
his service vehicles. He got a bunch of business band walkie-talkies,
some Kantronics TNCs, and small GPS receivers, put them in locked boxes
and installed them in all his vehicles. He had a big monitor in his
office showing where all his trucks were. Most of his people did not
know these devices were in there, but found out when they were not where
they said they were and were invited to seek opportunities elsewhere.

Not APRS, but I was in Tucson for a while in 1995 when they had a big
golf tournament. I discovered packet signals on a UHF commercial
frequency and hooked my scanner up to my MFJ TNC. They had laptops, TNCs
and handheld radios at each tee and hole and were reporting all the
player information to Golf Central via packet radio. No callsigns, just
identifiers, TEE-1, HOLE-1, TEE-7, HOLE-9, etc. They passed players
numbers (no names), tee time, number of shots, etc. Pretty interesting
stuff.

Michael WA7SKG