[aprssig] APRS Air Quality Monitoring

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:22:15 EDT 2022

full disclosure, I'm not interested in air quality sensors in particular,
just APRS in general.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 10:11 AM Patrick <winston at winston1.net> wrote:

> I would suggest rather than specific layout with fields for a fixed list
> of data, it may be better to have a message that transmits one data type
> per packet but multiple packets that can be sent for a range for additional
> data.

If we're designing for APRS I'd suggest going the opposite direction - put
everything in one packet to amortize the per-packet overhead.

I'd also prefer not to see fixed fields/field lengths.  Make every field
optional and define it so order doesn't matter.

KG4WSV>APRS:{AQ PM2.5 12.5
KG4WSV>APRS:{AQ PM2.5 12.5 PM10 37
KG4WSV>APRS:{AQ ozn 3 PM2.5 12.5

Parser shall be required to ignore field names it does not recognize and
accept remaining data as valid. This allows for expansion without
invalidating existing parsers.

-Jason
kg4wsv