[aprssig] Beacon too often

Tom k8tb at bosscher.org
Wed Jan 19 12:21:25 EST 2022

Sometimes education works, but not always.
We had a guy in our area who had a quasi-encomm vehicle, with not one,
but two APRS units aboard. He set each one to beacon every 10 seconds,
using 4 digi's! 144.39 never stopped. We talked to him, and he stated
that this was required. So those of us running the APRS digi's went to
each site and blacklisted him him from digi peating. He still was
putting out too much RF too often. He blew a cork. We could not care, as
the network was hosed. After 2 weeks, he backed down to one every
5minutes. Oh, he was doing this 24/7, even when the truck was parked.

Tom K8TB

p.s. A base station never really needs to beacon. Really, the joy of
APRS is that the sending units auto-majically finds the digi's. We have
APRS digi from one state over insisting to digipeat through us in West
Michigan. A mobile should be at the fastest evey 60 seconds, with smart
digi'ing on. We have set base station to beacon once every 30 minutes,
with just one digipeat.