[aprssig] Drones

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Jan 9 18:06:27 EST 2022

I've got a DJI Mini 2 and I really like it. Been doing both cinematic
stuff and more utilitarian surveying. It was about $440 from Costco for
the bundle. I'm currently about $900 into the hobby, including extra
batteries and charger, filters, sun shade, and Part 107 testing fee.

It does need a smart phone or tablet, unless you buy the DJI smart
controller. The smart controller is 2-4x the price of the drone, though.
I already had a slightly out of date spare Android phone that I paid
about $60 for and it works just fine.

The camera is great. It shoots good 4K video at 30 fps, and 2.7K at 60
fps. Endurance is about 30 minutes but I don't normally push it past 20.
It's under 250 grams so no need to register it. It folds up small enough
to fit in a coat pocket. Here's a quick video of my shop roof to show
how it could work for inspection purposes - I'd only had the drone a
couple of days at that point so there's no particular skill on my part:
https://vimeo.com/664043482/442cba9bfc

I think your biggest problem is going to be the control signal. Line of
sight it'll supposedly do 10 km. You know what RF performance is like in
the real world, though. I flew mine under a railroad bridge from maybe
100 yards away and went from full strength to no video in an instant.
Still managed to keep the control link, though, and flew it out the
other side blind. So flying from your bedroom might be difficult, but
you could certainly do it from a wheelchair or something if you can get
outside. (Also legally you're supposed to maintain visual line of sight.
And if you're using it for anything other than recreational purposes
you're supposed to have a Part 107 certificate.)

The Mini 2's biggest deficiency is its lack of collision avoidance
sensors. It only has a downward-facing sensor. For inspection work you
really need to be vigilant about maintaining situational awareness. The
good news is that with a high resolution camera you don't need to get
super close most of the time. The sub-$1000 drones from DJI also don't
have any autonomous flight capabilities, aside from some pre-programmed
camera moves. You can't program them to follow a series of waypoints,
for example. There's third-party software that will sort of do that, but
only by "virtual stick" inputs where the drone is piloted by the
controller. If it loses the signal, it can't keep flying the programmed
route.

Scott
N1VG