[aprssig] Information organization

Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr) KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Thu Feb 17 15:25:39 EST 2022

Scott,

I looked at what you've done so far and it certainly doesn't look like
an "inventory" or a set of "hyperlink(s) to all the relevant pages", but
instead the page describes itself as:

> This is an overview of the APRS protocol as it generally is
> implemented at the beginning of 2022. The goal is to unwind and
> connect v1.0, v1.1, proposed v1.2 that is implemented in practice, and
> other useful information onaprs.org <http://aprs.org/>in perparation
> for future APRS development.
>
> Please comment/make pull requests/add info as we try to piece together
> all the documentation. Link to the documents on aprs.org and work to
> present the info in a concise way.

But it's not even an "overview" in my opinion when it immediately dives
into the details of the OSI Layers and then the individual bits of the
AX.25 addresses. That's "content" in my definitions.

I can see you wanting to do something like this to better understand it
yourself, and I did the same when I was learning.  But my collection was
just a list of trigger phrases with a link to where I found the
information.  I strongly resisted the temptation to copy/paste
information from where I found it to my own notes because I learned
early on that I'd end up needing one more nugget beyond what I copied.
And it certainly didn't deserve publishing back then.

But Pete is correct.  While your desire to do something is commendable,
we really don't need N people rushing off to duplicate effort in
slightly different fashions and formats (I've seen at least FOUR formats
proposed).  I know of at least one other person that is working to
directly extract the aprs101.pdf information into something that we can
eventually edit and/or re-format.  But that person (not me) is striving
to NOT change a single thing, but simply recover the data and the format.

So, while I know we all want to see our own pet peeves with APRS
resolved in short order (like documentation), I also agree with Steve
(whose e-mails, incidentally, are still not getting through to me from
the list) that some organization needs to happen first so that parallel
efforts are going in a shared direction and not pulling in different
directions from the center.

PS.  I would be glad to work with the powers-that-be to figure out why
some aprssig e-mails are not getting through to my inbox.  I know it is
at least Steve Dimse that I can only see in the archives, but there may
be more.  I'd glad do an exhaustive comparison between the archives and
my inbox if someone needs that much detail.