[aprssig] A Proposal for the Continuation of APRS

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Feb 14 11:33:07 EST 2022

Hello,

I fully aree that a formal body will be needed in the long term to
maintain ownership of the APRS trademark and copyright, as well as to
decide about future protocol versions. As a European ham, I think that a
US-based 501(c) is appropriate to own the US-based rights, and would
like to participate in it.

I also happen to be a member of the XSF (a US-based 501(c)6)
<https://xmpp.org/about/xmpp-standards-foundation/> which has very
similar goals (advancing a rather niche protocol through means of an
open community, limiting the influence of individual vendors, giving out
licenses to a related trademark, holding the specification copyright),
and that's running with ~50 volunteer members, of which just a handful
are really active. This might be a good template to found an APRS
non-profit.

The XSF also has an elected technical advisory Council that approves and
oversees changes to the protocol, on which I have been serving for some
years now.

We probably won't need all of the XSF's formal mechanisms, but it might
make sense to pick quite a few things for an APRS non-profit.

Kind regards,

Georg DO1GL, author of APRSdroid

* Jeff Hochberg <jeff at w4jew.com> [2022-02-13 18:21]: